It’s not too late to reserve your spot for SLGE’s October 2nd Retirement (In)Security Summit!
Join our talented lineup of speakers, including experts in retirement planning, retirement system and employee benefit administrators, as well as current and former public sector employees, for a dialogue on retirement security issues, such as:
- The economic challenges facing retirees,
- Employee savings challenges and strategies,
- The role of benefits in recruitment and retention,
- Implications of changes to state/local retirement plans for new hires,
- Retiree health benefit strategies, and
- Strategies to boost retirement income.
Speaker bios are now available here.
The event will be held on Monday, October 2, 2017 from 12:00 – 4:30 pm EST. Boxed lunches will be provided, sponsored by AARP.
For the complete agenda and to register for this (free) event, click here.
As the unemployment rate falls and more baby boomers retire, local and state governments are giving more attention to succession planning and workforce development.
In partnership with the International Public Management Association for Human Resources (IPMA-HR) and Kronos, SLGE will offer a FREE webinar on Tuesday, October 17 at 2:00 pm EST to explore how the City of Sunnyvale, CA, State of Tennessee, and Hennepin County, Minnesota approach succession planning as part of their strategy to attract and retain talented employees.
- Leadership’s role in assessing, communicating, and supporting employee development
- The importance of employee engagement in talent development
- Innovative approaches to train and educate employees
- Ways to develop a learning culture that supports workforce goals
- How to overcome challenges and build commitment.
For information on speakers and to register for this (free) webinar, click here.
SLGE’s newest infographic offers a snapshot of 2016 data on the 170 state and local government pension plans included in publicplansdata.org, including information on the distribution of funded ratios, percentage of required contribution paid, required contribution as a percent of payroll, inflation assumptions, and investment assumptions.
Check out the infographic here.
- Senior Fellow Elizabeth Kellar briefed the ICMA-RC Executive Advisory Council on September 8th with a presentation on “Current Trends in Public Sector Retirement Plans”
- Communications & Project Manager Amber Snowden participated in a panel discussion on September 17 on the topic of “Public Sector Retirement and the Development of Compensation Packages” at the Kansas League of Municipalities’ Annual Conference.
At ICMA’s 103rd Annual Conference in San Antonio, TX:
- SLGE will host the following roundtable discussions (find more info and sign up to attend here):
- “What Does the Future Hold for Local Government Health Insurance Benefits?” on Monday, October 23 from 11:30 am -12:30 pm
- “Pension Funding: What Works?” on Monday, October 23 from 4:00-5:00 pm; and
- “How Deep Is Your Bench? Get Your #LocalGov Future Ready through Succession Planning” on Tuesday, October 24 from 12:45-1:45 pm
- SLGE staff will also moderate a panel discussion on “Developing the Public Workforce of the Future” on Tuesday, October 24 from 3:30-4:40 pm (find more info and sign up to attend here)