The Public Plans Database is developed and maintained through a collaboration of the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College (CRR), the Center for State and Local Government Excellence (SLGE), and the National Association of State Retirement Administrators (NASRA).
CRR and SLGE established a partnership in 2007 to:
- Produce research on state and local pension plans and the retirement prospects of state and local workers;
- Disseminate research findings broadly; and
- Develop and make available comprehensive data on state and local pensions and retiree health benefits.
These data, covering both defined benefit and contribution plans, are updated regularly from information available in the most recent Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFRs) and Actuarial Valuations (AVs) and have been expanded over time.
The National Association of State Retirement Administrators, which has been collecting and sharing public plan data since 2001, supports the partnership by providing review and assistance on the development of data models, validation of data, and development and administration of surveys.
The Public Plans Database has:
- Plan-level data for over 170 state and local pension plans, 114 administered at the state level and 56 administered at the local level;
- Over 100 variables; and
- Annual data since 2001
…and allows users to:
- Browse “quick-fact” pages containing key statistics on individual plans and in the aggregate;
- Search data in real-time and produce customized tables by selecting specific variables; and
- Download the raw data to conduct in-depth analysis.
Download our brochure to learn about PPD’s new and expanded features.
Suggested citation: Public Plans Database. 2001-2016. Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, Center for State and Local Government Excellence, and National Association of State Retirement Administrators.