Case studies of innovative approaches by state and local governments to retirement, health care, and workforce issues.
- Commitment to Future, Willingness to Adapt Result in Financial Stability for Denver, CO Retirement Plan
The Denver Employees Retirement Plan is a defined-benefit pension plan that has maintained long-term financial sustainability by making prudent adjustments to the plan’s design and benefits in the face of changing fiscal pressures.
- Financial Education for Public Employees
The Center is working with public officials to review state and local government financial education programs for their employees, and is developing guiding principles and recommendations for its improvement.
- South Dakota State’s Retirement Plan Experience Shows Power of Automatic Enrollment to Dramatically Increase Participation
A plan that provides a blueprint for other states to boost employee retirement savings.
Health CareView all Health Care
- Capital Metro (Austin, TX) Cuts Costs and Boosts Wellness
When the Capital Metropolitan Transit Authority in Austin, TX, needed to reign in health care costs, the agency went beyond standard budget cuts to create a nationally recognized wellness program.
- A Multi-disciplinary Approach to Community Health and Well-Being in Fulton County, Georgia
Fulton County, Georgia, is the largest county in the state of Georgia and the only one to integrate health care and wellness programs with other services offered by community and health centers for a comprehensive approach to meeting residents’ needs.
- Good Health! at Goodwill: Innovations in Community Health in San Antonio, Texas
A partnership among the San Antonio Metropolitan Health District (Metro Health), Goodwill Industries, and Bexar County’s University Health System that offers affordable and accessible preventive health care to underserved and underinsured San Antonio residents.
- OK Health, Health Improvement, and Wellness for Oklahoma State Employees
OK Health teaches state employees to change their lifestyles and improve their health, while it reduces health care utilization and lowers insurance premiums.
- A Comprehensive Wellness Program in Gainesville, Florida
The LifeQuest approach to health, diet, and fitness.
WorkforceView all Workforce
- San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, CA: Addressing Tomorrow’s Talent Crisis Today
San Mateo and Santa Clara counties use innovative approaches to attract, retain, and develop their next generation of leaders. (10/13)
- Work-Life Balance Pays Dividends in Coconino County, Arizona
To retain employees despite an inability to offer salary increases, Coconino County’s Human Resources Department developed innovative and cost saving initiatives that emphasized employee work-life balance. (4/12)
- Comprehensive Workforce Strategies in San Francisco City and County
San Francisco City and County have a comprehensive workforce program that is geared to attracting, retaining, and developing its 26,000 employees who work in 26 agencies. Their strategies enable them to meet increased demands for services, even in the face of reduced budgets.
- Innovating Human Resource Practices in Sarasota County, Florida
What is a local government to do when nearly 40 percent of its workforce is eligible to retire in the next five years, but replacing workers with permanent full-time workers is not possible? Sarasota County, Florida, has devised several strategies to ensure that it has the talent it needs while effectively managing personnel costs. (12/10)
- Improving Customer Service and Employee Morale in Georgia
Governor Sonny Perdue spearheaded the creation of the state’s Office of Customer Service in 2006 to improve customer service across all state government departments and agencies. Joe Doyle, director of the Office of Customer Service, quickly realized that excellent customer service is directly related to motivated employees and initiated a comprehensive employee satisfaction program to accompany a customer service improvement program. (10/10)