The Center convened a Future of Retirement Summit to address the workforce, legal, financial, policy, and political challenges facing local and state governments as they retool their retirement benefits.
Program Moderator: Peter Harkness, Founder and Publisher Emeritus, Governing magazine
Session 1: Public Sector Retirement Plans: The Real Story
- Alicia Munnell, Director, Center for Retirement Research, Boston College; author of the new book, State and Local Pensions, What Now? [download pdf of presentation]
- Robert Clark, Zelnak Professor, Poole College of Management at North Carolina State University [download pdf of presentation]
Session 2: Pension Plan Health: What Accounts for the Differences?
- Keith Brainard, Research Director, National Association of State Retirement Administrators [download pdf of presentation]
- Louis Kosiba, Executive Director, Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund [download pdf of presentation]
- Steven Kreisberg, Director of Collective Bargaining, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
- Maryann Motza, Administrator, Colorado State Social Security; Vice Chair, Colorado PERA [download pdf of presentation]
Session 3: Who’s on First? Adapting to Growing Retirements and a Smaller Workforce
- Joshua Franzel, Vice President of Research, Center for State and Local Government Excellence [download pdf of presentation]
- Nancy LeaMond, Executive Vice President, AARP State and National Group
- Joseph Adler, Director, Office of Human Resources, Montgomery County, MD [download pdf of presentation]
- Kelly Logan, Secretary, Pennsylvania Office of Administration; President, National Association of State Chief Administrators [download pdf of presentation]