Infographic: Public Plans Data 2016 Snapshot
This SLGE infographic uses data from 170 state and local government pension plans from the Public Plans Database to provide a snapshot of these plans’ funded ratios, percentages of required contributions paid, and assumptions in fiscal year 2016. Key findings for FY2016 include:
- The average funded ratio of the 170 pension plans examined was 72 percent, although there was wide variation among plans even within a single state;
- Employers paid 92 percent of the aggregate required contribution;
- The median required contribution as a percentage of payroll was 16.4 percent;
- A large majority of pension plans assumed an inflation rate between 2.25 and 3.25 percent; and
- Most funds assumed an investment return rate between 7 and 8 percent.