Case studies of innovative approaches by state and local governments to retirement, health care, and workforce issues.
- Commitment to Future, Willingness to Adapt Result in Financial Stability for Denver, CO Retirement Plan
The Denver Employees Retirement Plan is a defined-benefit pension plan that has maintained long-term financial sustainability by making prudent adjustments to the plan’s design and benefits in the face of changing fiscal pressures.
- Financial Education for Public Employees
This study examines the financial education offered to state and local employees by government employers in the state of North Carolina.
- South Dakota’s State Retirement Plan Experience Shows Power of Automatic Enrollment to Dramatically Increase Participation
This report examines South Dakota’s passage of automatic enrollment legislation and its initial impact on participation in the state’s defined contribution retirement plan.
Health CareView all Health Care
- Hampden County, Massachusetts: Enrolling Jail Populations in Health Coverage
This case study examines the successful approach of Hampden County, Massachusetts, to supporting inmate access to health coverage and health services.
- Capital Metro (Austin, TX) Cuts Costs and Boosts Wellness
This case study examines Capital Metro’s creation of a wellness program in an effort to control health care costs and improve employee health, absenteeism, and morale.
- A Multi-disciplinary Approach to Community Health and Well-Being in Fulton County, Georgia
This case study examines Fulton County’s effort to meet residents’ needs in a comprehensive manner by integrating its health care and wellness programs with other services.
- Good Health! at Goodwill: Innovations in Community Health in San Antonio, Texas
This case study examines a community-based initiative in San Antonio that offers affordable and accessible preventive health care to underserved and underinsured residents.
- OK Health, Health Improvement, and Wellness for Oklahoma State Employees
This case study takes a look at OK Health, an effort launched by Oklahoma’s Department of Health and Human Services to improve the health of state employees.
WorkforceView all Workforce
- San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, CA: Addressing Tomorrow’s Talent Crisis Today
This case study looks at San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties’ collaborative effort to retain, develop, and attract talented employees.
- Work-Life Balance Pays Dividends in Coconino County, Arizona
This case study examines Coconino County’s innovative initiatives aimed at promoting employee work-life balance and retaining employees.
- Comprehensive Workforce Strategies in San Francisco City and County
This case study looks at the development and impacts of San Francisco’s comprehensive workforce program aimed at attracting, retaining, and developing its employees.
- Innovating Human Resource Practices in Sarasota County, Florida
This case study examines the strategies developed by Sarasota County, Florida, for ensuring it has the talent it needs while still managing personnel costs.
- Improving Customer Service and Employee Morale in Georgia
This case study looks at Georgia’s Office of Customer Service, created to improve customer service across all state government departments and agencies.